Saturday, January 03, 2009

Saving Alice

"A novel?" I read out loud from the cover of the book I got for Christmas from my sister. "This thing is blasted science fiction!" I've been flipping the book half shut to yell at the cover for the last two hours or so. Ever since he dodged out of his awful, emasculating life into a...I won't say it. I can't ruin the ending! I'll just say a few things to alleviate my exasperation. There was no evidence of this in the first three quarters of the book. I mean, there was one line. One line! And now this! What am I supposed to do except be delightedly furious at this author's craft. He beat me, that's for sure. I did not see this coming. And this whole time I was thinking, "This is awfully womanish to have a male author."

Dah! What's a girl to do? What's...a girl...to do!

Heidi, you were right. I'm glad you gave me this book (even though it is fiction), and I'm glad I read it (even though it is fiction). But just don't try to pull another fast one on me like that again. I don't think my sanity can handle it. Surprise ending...I'd say!

I would say more, but I just can't. This book had me giggling out loud. I got so frustrated, I yelled at it several times. I told the man he was an idiot and a complete loser-face (and I was right). And I still cannot believe what happened. You thought it was bad, and then it just got worse and worse and worse and worse. And then....that's when I started really yelling. And reading as fast as I could, skipping as many details as I could muster. "What?!" Oh man. And then I was giggling out loud again. You gotta read this, Heidi. You just gotta read it.

No comments: