Sunday, July 13, 2008

my old lady

I took care of this old lady a little bit ago. It makes me chuckle just thinking about it - her tiny frame laden with wrinkles. She talked in this teeny tiny little voice like she was four years old. Just picture whatever four-year-old little girl you know in an old woman's body. The light in the bathroom was on, and she said to me, "You can just close the kitchen door." She was confused. But she was grateful. "Why are you so good to me?" she asked us.

I've been taking care of another old lady. She's extremely easy to please. She doesn't ever complain. And she has a bit of what people call a flat affect. She doesn't really have much expression, and she takes a long time to answer questions. When she does answer, it's a slow, simple answer, like a farmer's wife might give. A doctor said the other day that it seems as though she's in the beginning stages of dementia. I thought that sounded about right. Sometimes she's so sharp and cracks the driest jokes you ever heard. And they're hilarious. Other times, she can't really tell you what she wants, and says strange things.

That's all.

No comments: